- The purpose of safety observation/interactions is to improve the safety and welfare of all who work at or visit our workplace.
- Team members are to demonstrate genuine concern for people’s safety and welfare.
- Please acknowledge good points first Observers should note good practices as well as identifying substandard ones.
- Please obtain commitment (what/when/by who) on improvement areas at the time of the safety discussion.
- Interactions should be focused on the job and of short duration, but sufficient to enable a quality conversation about safety.
- Review past interactions to identify possible items to check.
- Use discussion with all persons involved to identify appropriate action and gain commitment to change.
- Team members are accountable for ensuring prompt follow up actions happen.
- Ideally at least two people should do the interactions (eg: manager and a supervisor).